Saturday, April 17, 2010

"Clone Wars": The Roar Of The 'Zillo Beast'

One of the largest CG-models ever created for "Star Wars: The Clone Wars", the 'Zillo Beast', featured in Season Two, incorporates an iconic sound design that complements the creature's features by giving the beast the right mix of power, personality and pain.

"There was a lot of trial and error getting there," said Dave Acord, "Clone Wars" sound editor, and creator of the Zillo's distinctive cry.

"I tried a number of animals, musical instruments, cars -- but ultimately, the Zillo roar is 75% horse. Pitched down, of course, and boomed. The other 25% is varying combinations of bobcat and lion, mostly for the growls and some of the heavier bellows. The complexity of the horse whinny seemed to have the right appeal in terms of expression and otherworldliness. At times, the roar can sound terrible and menacing. Other times, you can hear the pain in his voice. The Zillo has a lot of character, and we've tried to match that with our sound design..."

Click the images to enlarge and Sneak Peek "Star Wars: Clone Wars" - The Zillo Beast...